An international food and travel writer, and photographer.
The face behind TheBiteLine.
An Australian now residing in the UK, Kit’s writing career began in 1999 with the Diploma of Freelance Travel Writing & Photography, from the Australian College of Journalism. Here, she was mentored by non-other than Simon Townsend, the famous Australian journalist, and TV presenter.
After her formal culinary training, Kit’s sights were set on travelling through Europe’s kitchens, and mastering their cuisines. With an impressive, and somewhat jaw-dropping, collection of cookbooks and loose-leaf recipes, Kit’s knowledge of food history, regional variations, and culinary techniques is comprehensive to say the least.
In 2011, Kit received a Diploma of Professional Writing & Editing from Federation University, Australia. During these studies, Kit authored and published a novel, and compiled her first cookbook, whilst supervised by the award-winning author and novelist, Adib Kahn.
In 2018, Kit completed a Master of Arts in Creative Writing (Merit/upper 2:1) from Leeds Trinity University, where Kit benefited from the guidance of novelist, Martyn Bedford. After these post-graduate studies, there was only one natural outcome; Kit started a freelance writing business.
What does the TheBiteLine do?
In 2019 Kit began TheBiteLine, and with a lifetime of passion for the culinary arts, travel, and with an extensive background in the hospitality industry, TheBiteLine began producing top-quality content for the hospitality/travel/tourism industries. In 2020, and with long-held passion for all things sub-marine, Kit branched out into the dive industry, supplying articles on a range of scuba and free diving topics and websites.
For 20years, Kit has created attention-grabbing content for a variety of media outlets as a freelance food and travel writer, photographer, and content creator.
Kit’s portfolio includes:
- TheIrishRoadTripl.com: Travel through Ireland with inside information, it’s everything you need for a craic’ing good time!
- TheHotelJournal.com: The best boutique hotels in Cape Town, the best boutique hotels in Cape Town, South Africa
- Classical Wisdom.com:
- Travelade.com: Handy location guides to make the most out of your trip.
- Under the Aegean, a scuba diving directory for Greece
- West Highlands and Islands, the best of Scotland
- The Salt Sirens: feature articles:
- iDiveBlue.com: feature articles:
- Publishing under the pseudonym of K L Smyth: Siblings
- WordSpace Anthology: Mythologies
- Book Review and blurb: A Lifetime on the Stove, J Fraser
In 2018, Kit presented an Anthology launch at the Ilkley Literature Festival. The launch of Mythologies showcased the contributions of local writers with readings from the anthology. You can read the article here by Leeds Trinity University.
Finally, Kit also teaches creative writing. During classes, students benefit from Kit’s writing, whilst being encouraged to develop their own stories.